At Fitness Plus, we are committed to providing members diverse fitness programs that offer opportunities for all ages and abilities. With more than 80 free classes offered each week geared toward teens, adults and seniors, there is something for everyone. The Fitness Program Schedule is subject to change depending on member interest and participation. Members will be notified in advanced of canceled or added programs.
Register at the Fitness Plus Service Desk for all programs at least two days prior to the start of the event or program. For more information on fitness programs, call 573-331-3355.
Exercise is Medicine
Physical inactivity is a fast-growing public health problem and contributes to a variety of chronic diseases and health complications, including diabetes, hypertension and coronary artery disease. In fact, your physician may prescribe exercise to manage conditions before medication or surgery. However, few people know how to start a safe, effective exercise program. Fitness Plus has partnered with Exercise is Medicine™ to help. The American College of Sports Medicine® and the American Medical Association launched the Exercise is Medicine program, which is designed to make physical activity and exercise a standard part of a disease prevention and treatment program.
Fitness Plus’ highly trained experts – including certified personal trainers and group exercise instructors, fitness specialists, health promotion specialists, and a registered dietitian – will help you get started and stay on track. The program includes:
- Pre- and post-assessments (including weight, blood pressure, waist/hip ratio) conducted for clients
- Structured resistance and balance training
- Physical activity log
Exercise is Medicine is an ongoing physician- or health professional-referred program for someone who:
- Does not currently participate in at least 150 minutes of physical activity per week
- Is at risk for chronic disease
- Currently deals with chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity
- Needs assistance beginning and incorporating an exercise plan into his or her lifestyle
The first two weeks of the program are free. Each participant will have an initial full-body assessment, set personal goals, get an exercise prescription and receive an equipment orientation. Each participant will receive a pre- and post-assessment. Participants will work one-on-one or in a small group with a fitness specialist in a structured resistance and balance training program focusing on their specific needs. They will work directly with a fitness specialist two times per week and then one time per week on their own. The participant can schedule sessions that work best with their schedule. Sessions are held at Fitness Plus, 150 S. Mount Auburn Road, Cape Girardeau.
There is a water-only option available for those who are unable to do traditional cardio and strength training. These sessions are arranged on an individual basis.
For more information or to register for the program, please contact Robert Harper, Lead Fitness Specialist, at 573-331-5313 or email@example.com, or Dianne Lawrence, Assistant Manager of Health and Fitness, at 573-331-5302 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fitness Assessment and Prescription
New Fitness Plus members are eligible for a free fitness assessment. This assessment session includes:
- Height, weight and body measurements
- Muscular endurance
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Body mass index (BMI)
- Body fat
- And more
You can sign up for your assessment at the fitness desk on the second floor or call the fitness specialist desk at 573-331-5964. After your assessment, you will receive a printout of your results, which will be reviewed with you by one of our fitness specialists – all of whom hold four-year fitness degrees. Your fitness specialist will help design your personal exercise prescription based on your assessment results and your personal health and fitness goals. If you would like a follow-up session, the fitness specialist will meet with you to ensure you are using proper technique and are comfortable with your fitness program. Every member can receive two assessments and four free workouts per year.
Members Rewards Club
Join this FREE club that recognizes members of all ages for consistently coming to work out at Fitness Plus. Earn points by performing strength training, stretching and cardio workouts. Log your points in the logbook at the trainers desk and advance through blue, bronze, silver and gold memberships. Reach 200 points each month for three months and achieve the next level.
Fitness Plus has certified personal trainers specially trained to coach you, train you and keep you motivated and excited about your workout. For more information on personal training, click here.
You have made the commitment to improve your life and become a healthier you. The Plus Plan incorporates the areas of health that are the most important for success. It includes:
- You will have one counseling session with Fitness Plus’ registered dietitian to discuss issues such as weight loss, sport nutrition and weight maintenance with the goal of establishing healthy habits that last a lifetime.
- You will receive three personal training sessions with a certified personal trainer. They will design a step-by-step workout guide for all fitness levels, combining progressive cardiovascular and intensive strength training exercises designed to revitalize your metabolism and achieve noticeable results.
- Do you need a little voice in your head to remind you to stick to your program? We will be your conscience, providing weekly phone calls for your first three months to ensure continued motivation and encouragement.
- Setting goals is a great way to ensure progress. Often goals are set too high or are based on weight loss rather than body measurements and body fat percentage. Let us help you select some healthy, obtainable goals.
For just $120, you can ensure that you start off on the right foot. To get started on the Plus Plan:
- Fill out a Personal Training Request form
- Select a trainer, or have a Fitness Coordinator match you up
The registered dietitian and personal trainer will contact you to schedule appointments.
Youth Weight Club
This program gives children ages 7-12 the chance to get a jump start on a healthy lifestyle. After going through a certification with a fitness specialist, children have the opportunity to complete a workout when they visit Kids Plus. Supervised by a Kids Plus attendant, it provides a safe atmosphere for children to become familiar with the fundamentals of weight training. The Youth Weight Club includes a recognition system, which means more workout fun for kids who use the equipment. Certification is offered when visiting Kids Plus, as staff is available. Register in Kids Plus.